Sage smoke or a using a clearing spray are both excellent ways to “smudge” you home.
Smudging is a process that you can do to remove negative or stagnant energy from your home or space, energetic field, and from items like your car, furniture, clothing, rugs, tarot cards, crystals, etc.
Negative energy is sticky, and it clings to everything, so cutting down on your clutter is a HUGE help in keeping your space airy, free of negativity and full of positive vibes. 🙂 I would encourage you to de-clutter prior to beginning a smudging routine.
Here are the simple steps you should take when using sage smoke or clearing spray to improve the energy of your space…
Materials you will need for smudging: Smudging Shell or a ceramic or glass bowl, a sage smudging stick, a large feather or a magazine/newspaper that you can use for a fan, a strong and positive intention, water to put out the smoking stick. *If you are using a clearing spray, you will only need your spray and a feather or fan. 🙂
Steps for Smudging Successfully:
- You must OPEN a window (1 at least) to provide an exit for the trapped negative energy. If you do not open a window, the energy will just bounce around your space and your smudging efforts will be ineffective.
- Light your smudge stick with a match or lighter and let is burn for about a half a minute, then blow it out. This will allow if to catch, and continue to smoke, similar to a stick of incense.
- Gently lay the stick (smoking end down) into your shell or bowl, and hold your bowl with your non dominant hand.
- With your dominant hand, hold your feather fan and begin to “fluff” the smoke in and out of each room and closet of your home. Don’t forget the basement! Make sure to push the smoke into areas like corners of the room (both high and low), over curtains, under desks and tables, etc. While you fluff the smoke around your space, make sure to keep the strong and positive intention of clearing your space of negativity and bringing positive energy only back into your space. You will want to do this in each of the corners of every room, as well as in and around each doorway, both front and back. Take one room at a time, then then the next doorway, then the next room/hallway/doorway, etc. In other words, don’t jump around from room to room. 😉 If you are clearing your home, be sure to do this in every room, thoroughly. I do this once a month, or however often I feel it is needed. If the energy of your space (or your mood) feels heavy or dark, you know it is time to smudge. 🙂
- Once you feel that you have covered every area both with your smoke and strong intention to clear and cleanse, you can then dip the end of your smudge stick into a glass of water or under running water to put out the smoke. Lay it back into your shell or bowl and let it dry out for your next use.
Please note that sage smoke (specially white sage) can smell quite strong and it can be unpleasant. If you don’t like the smell of sage, want to avoid the smoke, or don’t want your home and clothing to smell of it, I have a clearing spray recipe that used essential oils (includes clary sage and smells AMAZING), and it works wonderfully as a smoke free alternative! I got this recipe from my first Reiki Master Teacher, who got it from her Reiki Master teachers, and we all can’t get enough of it. 🙂 Click here for the recipe.
This clearing spray is what I use regularly, since I have small children and don’t like to smell of burning sage. *I will however use sage for smaller purposes like clearing a healing crystals energy or my tarot deck. 🙂 It just boils down to your personal preference.
To clear your home with the clearing spray alternative, do the same steps that I mentioned above, and use your fan to waft the mist of your spray bottle in a similar fashion. I will post a quick video below to give you a visual.
Sparkly Tip: Once your space is clear, adding crystals to your home is an AMAZING way to keep up the good vibes. My favorite crystals to have for this purpose are amethyst and smoky quarts. That work beautifully as sparkly little filters for negativity! Just don’t forget to regularly clear them as well. 🙂
I hope this helps you bring more light and love into your space! Wishing you a great day!