Another amazing and beneficial way to use essential oils is through the simple and direct method of Steam Inhalation. Steam Inhalation introduces essential oils directly into the lungs and sinuses, quickly. Some of the benefits that come along with safely using essential oils in this way are:
- immune and respiratory support
- may help to clear sinuses and mucus membranes
How to safely prepare and use a Steam Inhalation, with essential oils:
- With a clean bath towel set aside, fill a glass bowl with hot, steaming water (hot enough to create steam, but not hot enough to burn your skin, or your sensitive sinus tissues)
- Add one drop of essential oil (consider using cinnamon bark, cassia or an immune protective/respiratory support essential oil blend- be sure to check labels to ensure that you do not have sensitivities to any oils that are included in your blend) to your bowl of steaming water. If more than one drop escapes your essential oil bottle, please use the mixture for diffusion instead, and begin preparing your Steam Inhalation bowl again. *More than one drop of essential oil in a Steam Inhalation can be overpowering, and can cause headaches.
- Place your clean towel over the back of your head and shoulders, close your eyes, and lean over the steaming bowl of water, creating a “tent” over your bowl with your towel. This will help you “trap” the steam, allowing you to come in contact with and breathe in the essential oils, as the steam rises.
- Please use your own judgment, and adjust your positioning over the bowl according to what your body is telling you. If you feel that you would like stronger exposer to the essential oils, lean closer into the bowl. If the essential oils seem too strong, please create more space between your face and the bowl, allowing more ventilation and air to move under and through your towel and the area of the steaming bowl. This should be a comfortable and relieving experience, not an overpowering or uncomfortable one.
- Deeply and slowly breathe in the steam, and stay in position above the bowl, for a few minutes – the duration of time that you desire.
Please always remember to keep your eyes closed, so that no essential oils can get into and irritate your eyes. You may want to have some facial tissues at your side, incase you need to clear your mucus membranes and nasal passages. If you wish to repeat your Steam Inhalation, please give yourself at least a one hour break in between, and use this method no more than a few times a day. The Steam Inhalation method is meant for short term use, and is not meant to be used on a regular daily basis, or for long, drown out periods of time. If you have questions or concerns, please contact a Certified Aromatherapist and/or a Licensed Medical Doctor. Not recommended for young children, for people on medications, or for people over the age of 65.