Things we will cover in the lesson:
- Choosing Your Blog Platform
- Blog/Website Set Up
- Important Settings Tip (DO THIS PRIOR TO CREATING YOUR PAGES AND POSTS)
- Pages and Links
- Helpful WordPress Plugins
- Your Daily To-Do List to make your Blog GROW
- Share About Your Team Opportunity, in a Way that is Authentic and Heartfelt!
- Application Forms add “Weight” to what you offer through your Team Opportunity and your Free/Paid Workshops
- How-to DOUBLE your Mailing List
Choosing Your Blog Platform:
Good morning, to all of my amazing ROCK YOUR BLOGGERS!!! This week you are going to have your BIZ BLOG completely set up in a way that is going to bring you in BUCKET loads of amazing traffic (aka, your customers, internet friends and your future team members) over time!
Are you excited!?
Here is your first video, that shares two of the most popular Blog Platforms (one free and one paid). Please choose the one the is the BEST FIT for YOU!
Setup step #1 for WordPress:
Pick a host provider, and purchase a hosting package (*I use www.hostgator.com, the Hatchling Plan, and a paid domain name)
Next, take a look at the additional WordPress blog set up tutorial video that I am going to list in the next post! 🙂
Setup step #1 for Blogger:
go to www.blogger.com, set up an account, and choose a blog URL (aka. domain name). it gives you one for free, but if you would like to connect a paid domain name to it, you can purchase one off of GoDaddy.com (or any other domain name provider site, like Host Gator), and follow the instructions for set up within your blogger dashboard. 🙂
Here is a quick start CHECK LIST for setting your blog up right.
*I recommend getting a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog. This is a paid option, and will set you up with a professional foundation with unlimited potential with functionalities, but if you want to stick to a free option, you can get a free WordPress Blog up or a free Blogger Blog, by visiting Blogger.com. Free blogs will still help you get your content on the web, but may limit you later depending on what your goals are and what you want to be able to have your site do. Either way, choose a dashboard and option that is right for you.
To set up a Self-Hosted WordPress watch the tutorial videos below. 🙂
How to setup your Blog on a Self Hosted WordPress Dashboard:
Important Settings Tip (DO THIS PRIOR TO CREATING YOUR PAGES AND POSTS):
Visit Settings, Permalinks, and click on “Post Name” under the custom settings. This gives your blog posts readable titles as their URL links, otherwise, each link you share to one of your posts will just be a jumble of random numbers and letter. Having this setting checked for “Post Name” will be a GREAT help in your Search Engine Optimization, allowing your blog posts to be easily found via Google Search, since the titles will be in each of your links!
Pages and Links:
Once you have your blog set up, make sure to have these pages and links set up and visible on your blog (navigation bars and sidebars are good locations). These pages and links will be the bones of your site.
- *An ABOUT page. Use this page as an introduction for your visitors. Introduce yourself, what you do, and what you LOVE! This page will let them know if you are someone who they relate to and want to get to know, or not. Be authentic and YOU! Feel free to include any credentials that you have on this page as well.
- *An Index Page where you will put links in order for all of your valuable posts and pages that you want your visitors to see. If people have to scroll through pages and pages to find info, they tend to not stay on your blog, so an index page is essential. 🙂
- *A Contact Me page, give people an email form that they can submit to you, or you can display your email address and other contact information that you want them to have on a simple page.
- *A Join my Team Page– This page should talk about your Doterra team, and the fact that you have a beautiful opportunity to share and offer to others. (A free Crystal Healing Certification Course, as well as our team training, and your caring support as their Team Leader, if they are looking to become a Holistic Healer.) 😉 You can call your team whatever you want, and when you do have people join, feel free to share the Blossoms United Training page with them, as well as any of your own training that you decide to offer to them in addition to, if you wish!
- *Testimonials Page, this is where you would paste all of the lovely things that people say about you so your visitors can feel like they are in good hands.
- *An Interview Me Page. This is a great way to get your blog our there! If people know that you are available or interview, they may invite you to write a quest post for the larger blog or online magazine, etc, which can get you and your blog some great (and free exposure)
- *Be sure to display LINKS to your social media pages that you are using for your Biz
- *Be sure to display a LINK to your Doterra Website so people can order oils (retails or wholesale) from you, or even join your Team!
Helpful WordPress Plugins:
Here is a list of Plugins that you may want to install on your blog to add some great functionality!
- *Pin It Button for Images
- *A Share It Button for your posts, so that people can share them to their social media sites.
- *A newsletter plugin, I use Mail Chimp
- *Contact Form 7, a contact form for your contact me page
- *Facebook Like Box
- *CRM & Lead Management for WordPress (aka. Vcita, which is a pop up on your
homepage that allows people to send you a quick message and gives you their contact information.
They can also schedule a meeting with you as well.)
- *Simple Social Icons (adds cute icons for your social media pages to your sidebar)
- *SpeakPipe, allows people to leave you a voicemail from your blog homepage
- *Print Friendly and PDF, allows people to print your posts
- *Simply Instagram, displays your Instagram photo feed in your sidebar
Your Daily To-Do List to make your Blog GROW:
Consistency, SEO and ADDING Daily Content is KEY!
- Choose Smart Post Titles (Name your posts something that people would be searching for in a Google Search Bar, and keep it relevant to your post.)
- Post Daily (This may sound like a daunting task, but what I do is copy and past my social media posts that are of HIGH VALUE, and paste them into a blog post. This is a big time saver, and as long as you are sharing value in your social media posts, you will have daily value to share on your blog as well!)
- Fill in your Meta Tags with Relevant Key word and Phrases
Meta tags are similar to hashtags on our IG posts! You have a meta description/key word section below your blog post area. In this area, you want to paste in your blog title, then add in key words that you want Google to read. That way, when people do a google search, Google will find your post through its title and meta tags (key words). Use 1-15 key words (or short phrases) that are relevant to you blog, and if you use these words in your blog post, BOLD them too, to give your post a boost! This will help with the SEO (search engine optimization) of your site, as well as each blog post!
Here is an example of how to type out meta tags, using a blog post about learning how to read the tarot, for example (don’t include hash tags, and separate your tags with a comma) Doing this is ESSNETIAL to improving your Google rank and visibility: how to read tarot cards, tarot, learn tarot, rider waite smith, oracle cards, tarot tutorial, spiritual, metaphysical, newage, holistic
- Name Your Image Files (make sure that you give your image files a file name that is relevant to your blog post. Ex. “tarot-deck-for-beginners”, use dashes instead of spaces, and use all lower case letter. This makes your images searchable, and they will show up in Google Images when people search for topics and key words that are relevant to your image file. Usually images just have a series and numbers and letter, which doesn’t help their visibility I’m Google. Taking this extra step will help your site visibility and Google rank.)
- Organize, Organize, Organize!
Having an index page is SO INCREDIBLY important! It gives people a single page that they can go to see all of your blog posts and pages, neatly organized. When you have an index page, people will be able to easily navigate your blog, and they will click on more links than they would if they had to spend a long time going through your blog feed.
This puts all of the information that you share right in front of them, and if they have an easy time navigating your site, they are more likely to hang around, and share your blog with others!
The more time people stay on your site, and the more clicks that are generated by your readers, the better your site will do in Google! 🙂
Every time I add a new post to my blog, I add the blog photo and a blog excerpt to my Index Page (which I have added to my navigation bar, and have titled “START HERE”, so people know this is where they need to go when they visit my blog). This is a great habit to get into! Always work to make your Index page the center of your site, and keep it organized. Keep it user friendly, and as eye appealing as you can. 🙂