Hello, Pretty Blossoms!
So, you have your Tarot Deck and are wondering if there are any specific things you should be doing in order to properly take care of it… There are a few valuable notes to mention here;
- Do keep your deck in a designated, clean, and dry area. I keep my tarot decks in their original boxes, (or in small wooden boxes, and draw string bags, if the deck did not come with its own box sleeve), and I keep them on a desk shelf in my sacred space.
- Don’t leave your cards thrown about and scattered in your bag or around your home. It is important to treat your deck with respect, and treat it as if it is sacred to you. That way, is is filled with good vibes, you wont loose any of your cards, and it will respond well to your personal energy.
Some people believe that in order for you to receive accurate information from your cards, you need to store them in cedar boxes, red cloth, or a silk scarf. This is mainly, superstition. Some cultures believe that there are spiritual cleaning properties of cedar wood and silk, but this is their belief and personal preference, not necessarily fact.
I have not found any difference in the accuracy of my reading when storing cards in their original boxes, verses a cedar box, or a pull string pouch. I simple keep some decks in a cedar box, because that was what I was able to find that properly fit my deck and the crystals that I like to keep with it. I am not superstitious, and I use what I use because I like it and it is convenient, and not for any other reason. 🙂
Why You Should Clear Your Deck
Clearing your deck is important, especially if you are using it to conduct card counseling sessions for others. Like anything else, your deck will absorb other peoples energies, and you want to be able to work from a clean slate, each time you do a reading. If you fail to clear the energies from your deck, the information you get from reading to reading could mesh within one another, mixing information from person to person. By clearing your deck, you are wiping the chalk board clean, so to speak, and it will work on the new energies of you or the person you are facilitating a reading for, only. You may choose to clear your deck before a reading, after a reading, or before and after a reading. This is up to you. 🙂
How to Clear Your Deck
Here are a few ways that you can keep your deck cleansed, and clear of energies, from reading to reading. With any of these options below, always focus your strong intention on clearing.
- Essential Oil, Rose, Purify Blend, Lemon Grass, Lavender, or Clary Sage (or an oil of your choice)- You can spread out your cards on a table, place a couple of drops of oil on your hands and fan them over your cards.
- White Sage Stick, or an Incense Stick– You can spread out your cards on a table, lite a stick, blow it out, and pass the smoke back and forth over your cards.
- Sound Clearing– You can clear the energies of your deck by using a sound healing tool, such as a crystal or metal singing bowl, or a set of tingshaws.
- Crystals– You can store your deck with healing crystals that have clearing properties. This is my personal favorite method, since I find it to be the most practical, and very effective. Clear Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Amethyst, or polished Selenite are great choices for this purpose.
- Intention– Intention is the powerful force that we are working with during any method of clearing, and it brings validity and power to all methods. To only use your intention, hold your cards, and bless each card. As you do this, intend for each card to be cleared of its energy, and become filled with love. You may also choose to put your deck back in order, from the Major Arcana Cards, tot he Minor Arcana Cards, organised by number and Suit.
The clearing method that you choose should resonate well with you, and you should feel comfortable and confidant in your personal process. 🙂 Feel free to share your method with me in the comments below!